Literacy and Numeracy Support
"My Child has difficulties with literacy."
This can include:
- Reading and spelling
- Learning new information and concepts
- Working with numbers
- Working memory
Students may have conditions such as Dyslexia (or other Specific Learning Difficulties), Moderate Learning Difficulties, AD(H)D etc
Students may present with difficulties that do not have a specific title or formal diagnosis.
What support can we offer?
All students at Wellacre can access:
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation.
- Use of technology and additional resources to support learning.
- Access to homework support clubs.
- Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) sessions during tutor time twice a week
- Access to assessment for identification of significant/specific needs.
- Dedicated and caring staff who value all students regardless of ability.
- Access to the Renaissance Accelerated Reader software programme at KS3
- Whole school literacy policy
- Whole school numeracy policy.
- Numeracy 10 Quick Questions intervention twice a week during tutor time
Targeted students can access:
- Year 6 into 7 Vulnerable Transition programme
- Withdrawal from MFL to complete literacy support intervention programme
- Year 7 nurture tutor group.
- Access to an additional adult's support in some lessons .
- Learning Support Centre lunch time clubs for vulnerable students.
- Targeted before school clubs such as Scribble Scrabble and Number Crunch
- Where needed, referrals to an external agency (e.g. Trafford SENAS, Speech and Language Therapy).
- Individual Education Plan with allocated key worker
*Please note: These options need to be agreed upon for each student in conjunction with parents/carers and then regularly reviewed/modified.
Targeted Individual support can access:
- On-going personalised tuition, led by a qualified Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) teaching assistant.
- Where needed, referrals to an external agency (e.g. Educational Psychologist).
- Word Wasp/Toe by Toe reading support programmes
- Power of 2 Numeracy Support intervention programme
- Exam Access Arrangements.
- Post 16 Transition support.
- Termly review of progress to inform intervention.
*Please note: These options need to be agreed upon for each student in conjunction with parents/carers and then regularly reviewed/modified